Wednesday 4 May 2011

Andy Goldsworthy Exhibition

I went to see Andy Goldworthy's exhibition in Haddington a couple of months ago. He is a renowned environmental artist who creates sculptures from brightly coloured flowers, icicles and leaves, mud and pine cones, snow, twigs and thorns.
He uses photographs to capture the essence of his work. He states "as with all my work, whether it's a leaf on a rock or ice on a rock I'm trying to get beneath the surface of things. Working the surface of a stone is an attempt to understand the internal energy of the stone".
The exhibition I saw of his work featured some of his classic photographs which included ice and leaf constructions. The photographs were very different from anything I have seen before and a fascinating insight into how nature can be manipulated to produce very unusual and stunning images whilst portraying the energy of nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment