Monday 26 April 2010

Panning with different shutter speeds

I didn't have very much success doing this technique. I tried to photograph sea-gulls who I think were too fast for me! I found it difficult to keep tracking the birds in the middle of the frame whilst I moved the camera. From looking at other photographs using this technique I think that a slight blurring gives more of a sense of speed. I think I will try and practise this technique more as it gives a very different effect from freezing a subject with a fast shutter speed.

I have learnt from this exercise and from reading the "Digital Photograph" magazine that it is best to use a relatively slow shutter speed to track the subject in a single fluid movement. The correct shutter speed is also determined by how fast the subject is moving. It would also appear to be best to stand parallel to the subject if possible as positioning is key to successful panning.

No comments:

Post a Comment