Sunday 7 November 2010

Horizontal and vertical lines









These photographs include some of the photographs I have taken with vertical and horizontal lines.
I understand from this exercise that lines are a key element in adding structure to photographs.
The lines are primarily defined by contrast ie. contrasting colours, light, shape etc
Horizontal lines seem to add stability and a static feel to a photograph as they act as a baseline. Vertical photographs perhaps because of their lack of baseline can add strength and a feeling of movement.
I thought the example in the material using both vertical and horizontal lines in a photograph was very effective and I also like the idea of having a broken horizon which adds a more chaotic feel.
I have also learnt when using vertical and horizontal line as a significant part of a photograph that it is essential they must be straight.
















No comments:

Post a Comment